For what I’m currently doing, see my Now page.
WHO AM I?
Hi, I’m Kalani Scarrott, born and raised in Australia. I’m currently finishing up my masters of Finance at University. I love investing and love writing about it.
I previously worked (albeit only a little) in funds management, and am currently looking for my next role. If you can help? Get in touch.
“Investing is the greatest game in the world and they pay us to play it.”
My general aim for day to day life is to make little improvements. Consistently, day after day. Also, I’m
23 24 if that matters at all.
I want to learn as much as possible for as long as possible. To be intellectually curious. There will be topics too hard or irrelevant, but I want to learn as much as I can. Not knowing something is different from being uninterested in knowing it.
So I write my thoughts on my site to solidify and extend my knowledge. And because I like writing.
I don’t know exactly where I want to be in 10 years time. A vague idea maybe. Hopefully working internationally at a job I love.
But no concrete goals or plans.
“What am I going to find if I get through this?”
“I don’t know. But won’t it be interesting to find out?”Legend of Korra
WHAT ARE MY INTERESTS?
Just some of my interest and topics I like learning about.
- Particularly value/growth/micro-cap. For more see My Investing Strategy. Looking to learn more about Private markets and VC.
- Basketball, F1, Golf. Anything really. I love the competitive aspects of it and the constant desire to improve and succeed. Also the Fantasy aspect I find interesting too.
- Self Improvement
- Mental Models. Cultivating habits. Productivity tips. I just want to be better today than I was yesterday.
- The business behind them, current trends and the future of gaming. I also straight-up love playing games. Especially FPS and sports games. But I seldom play anymore, aiming to focus on more productive hobbies.
- Health, Nutrition and Fitness
- Living longer and stronger. Pushing and testing my body.
- Just started learning Python. Late to the party but loving learning about all things tech so far.
- I’m straight poo at it, but I enjoy it now and again. Particularly baking and anything sweet related. It’s my biggest weakness.
- New people. New cultures. New food. The stranger the better.
- Books, blogs and long-form articles.
- Podcasts & audiobooks. Interesting conversations. People’s life stories.
- New to my list of interests, but quickly growing in enjoyment.
WHAT IS THIS SITE?
This site is hodgepodge of research, observations and resources in investing and finance.
GOALS FOR THE SITE
I want this site to document what I find interesting and learn from. Selfishly I want to also improve my writing skills in the process.
I also want to create beneficial and interesting content for readers. Whether that’ll be detailed deep dives into topics, or even writing on more education type content. Overall I want you to read something here and be able to go away with something useful or implementable in your own lives, or at the very least give you something to think deeply about.
Why do it? I write to bring discipline to my thoughts and to solicit feedback on my ideas. If you’d like to get in touch, I’d love to hear from you.
WHY SHOULD YOU READ MY STUFF?
Because I’m funny, interesting and thoughtful? But seriously, I’m hoping that by diving and delving into topics, I’ll able to show and create some high-quality information. Hopefully, that will not only be interesting to read but applicable to your own life too.
WHAT ARE YOUR POSTS LIKE?
Gwern put it best on his site:
I have read blogs for many years and most blog posts are the triumph of the hare over the tortoise. They are meant to be read by a few people on a weekday in 2004 and never again, and are quickly abandoned—and perhaps as Assange says, not a moment too soon. (But isn’t that sad? Isn’t it a terrible ROI for one’s time?)
I don’t want my posts to spark and fizzle out. I try (but not always) to post content that won’t age (horribly at least). It won’t expire like milk.
I don’t want fireworks. I want log fires. I want to get enough to get it up and running and provide usefulness, and then come back to it and add logs as needed. (Does this make sense or have I lost the plot?)
Even then, when I do post something, I want to go back to it and update it. A post is never truly finished. It is a work in progress.
LEARNING IN PUBLIC
This blog is my attempt to learn in public. It’s a place where I can experiment with my writing, highlight what I’m reading and summarize what I’m learning. It won’t be perfect. In fact, it’ll be far from perfect. Whilst I’d love everything I put out to be of exceptional quality, it’s just not the aim. If I were 100% happy with what I posted, there would be barely any posts here! I’m hoping as I can look back here, I’ll be able to see my growth as not only a writer but as a human too. Not just a collection of posts, but a steady stream of new and interesting thoughts.
HOW CAN I HELP / CONTACT?
Reach out on Twitter where I’m most active besides here. Or just a message of encouragement is nice. If you need to tell me something. want to help or want to just chat, fill out the form below this. You’re message is greatly appreciated on this often lonely journey.